AlcazabaThis fortress palace whose name in Arabic means citadel is one of the historical monuments of the city, a space very visited to conjugate history and beauty in the same enclosure.
From Muslim times it is located at the foot of Mount Gibralfaro where is the Arabian defensive castle to which it was united by a corridor protected by walls called La Coracha; Next to the Roman Theater and in front of the Customs building, is an opportunity to see in a few meters the union of the Roman, Arab and Renaissance cultures, which makes this corner a very special place.
Built between 1057 and 1063 according to Muslim historians at the behest of the Berber taifas king of Granada, Badis. In its construction were used materials of carry and reused pieces of the annex Roman theater, like columns and capitals.
Later, the Almoravids arrive in Malaga in 1092 and the Almohads in 1146. In 1279 the conquest Muhammad II Ben al-Ahmar and passes to the Nazarite kingdom. Its reform gives it a deep imprint as a Nasrid building built on the rock. It combines the needs of defense and the beauty of an Arab palace organized with rectangular patios and cradles around with its gardens and ponds. Its rooms which, in the tradition of Granada architecture, seek in the interiors the alternation of lights and shadows to achieve those games that so well dominate the Arab alarm.
Its military component makes it one of the most important Muslim works preserved in Spain. With matacanas, albarranas towers with saeteras and crenellated walls like defensive elements, nevertheless its better defense was in its situation, dominating from its balconies the city and the bay. Around him was a neighborhood, now totally disappeared, that even had its system to evacuate the fecal waters, and with latrines in almost all the houses, which accredits the high level of civilization that existed in those moments. It had successive reconstructions, some until the XX century, and at the moment is visitable with important archaeological samples exposed.
In the first excavations for their restoration, there were remains of Roman walls of concrete covered with red stucco and small pools excavated in slate, destined to the preparation of Garum (paste of fish that the Romans elaborated) and a dungeon where they locked up at night to The Christian captives who worked during the day.